Jacklyn Nicole Hebert Williams

My daughter, Jacklyn Nicole Hebert Williams, is a survivor of Necrotizing Fasciitis. Her story began on September 26, 2006, when she had an emergency C-Section, due to Pregnancy Induced Hypertension, to deliver our grandson. He was born at 37 weeks and had some complications that caused him to be in Neonatal Intensive Care for 14 days. My daughter was released from the hospital after 4 days and her incision was beginning to heal so perfectly. Four days later, on one of our numerous visits to the NICU to see Jackson, my daughter told me she really wasn't feeling well. Although she couldn't hardly bare to leave her baby, she thought that I should bring her home. She was feeling weak, dizzy and felt like she had fever. On the way home, we checked her temperature and sure enough, 102. When we got home, I called the NICU, and they advised that she stay away until we find the cause for the fever. We called her Ob-Gyn and they advised her to take Tylenol or Motrin. They told her to give them a call in the morning, if she was still running fever. Her fever would spike so high, sometimes as high as 104, and then break with a deep sweat, for the entire night. In the morning, we called her doctor, and they told her to come in that afternoon, because the doctor was in surgery. At 1:00 that day, we went to her doctor. Her fever was 102 when we got there, and upon examination, the doctor was alarmed that her stomach was very swollen with bruise-like blotches that were yellow and purple. She had no feeling to touch on her stomach and the doctor sensed a slight odor. She made a tiny cut in the incision, and tried to release some fluid. She told us she wanted to readmit Jacklyn and get her on I.V. antibiotics immediately. She also ordered a CAT Scan to try and determine what was going on. The CAT Scan wasn't until 10:00 that night. At Midnight, the doctor came into her room with the results. It showed "an abscess and an air pocket". Her doctor advised her to get some rest, and in the morning she would take her into surgery, drain the abscess and everything would be okay. We turned out lights and went to sleep. Two hours later, we were startled by the lights coming on in her room. Her doctor came in and told us that she had a "gut feeling" that she should go in now and deal with the situation. She felt uneasy about putting it off until morning, and would rather take care of it now. One hour later, 3:00 am, my daughter went into surgery. One hour passed, two hours passed and finally 3 hours later, the doctor came out to consult with us. When we asked how everything went, her comment was, "So-so" and our hearts just sank. She commenced to tell us that when she went in, Jackie's entire stomach was black. They had to remove 10 pounds of flesh and tissue which left her with a gapping trench across her stomach and into her back that was approximately 4 inches wide and 4 inches deep. She had also gone into septic shock during surgery. When Jackie awoke, she knew immediately that something was wrong, because she was in ICU with a ventilator. They decided to keep her intibated for 12 hours and bring her back into surgery to make sure that they had removed all of it. We tried our best for the next 12 hours to comfort her and make sure she knew that she was going to be okay. Twelve hours later, they brought her back into surgery. She was in surgery this time for about 1 hour and 20 minutes, the longest 80 minutes for us and our son-in-law. Finally, her doctor came out and assured us that the surgery was successful and she would be okay! (By this time, between 60-100 of our family and friends had gathered, filling 3 waiting rooms and the hallways!) Her first prognosis: Jackie would be in the hospital for 2 to 3 weeks minimum, and her wound would be open for 3 to 4 months, allowing it to heal from the inside out. She was in ICU only overnight, in the hospital for only 1 week, and her wound closed within 3 months. She endured wound dressings every 12 hours for the first 4 days, and then she was able to have the wound vac. She had daily hyperbaric therapy for 4 weeks. She is now doing great. She will have to have hernia repair surgery soon because of the tissue that was removed. We still do not know how she contracted this deadly bacteria, but we are so thankful that she is "A SURVIVOR"!