Jennifer Riley

In September of 2008 my life changed forever. I had a boil that appeared on my leg and it became so big that I couldn't sleep or sit at all. The pain that I felt was nothing compared to what was to come. I decided that I would have the boil lanced and this is when the flesh eating bacteria must have took over my body. I was seriously so sick that I don't even remember the emergency room visit which my mother informed me later that we sit in the ER for 3 hours before I was taken in. When I finally did make it to the hospital it was almost to late for me. The NF almost took my life from me. I guess the old saying goes better late than never, but I should have been a little bit smarter when it came to going to the doctor on time. I had waited three days before going to the doctor and it almost cost me my life. The first three weeks that I was in the hospital I was in a sedated coma and didn't know anything that was going on around me. If not for the wonderful people at Central Baptist Hospital I may not be here today. I also found out that I am diabetic and have high blood pressure. The people there are wonderful but most importantly I thank God, my family and friends who supported me. Sometimes I wonder why this happened to me but to be honest I am a stronger person today than I could ever image that I could possibly ever be. Life does throw us some curve balls but we must pick ourselves up and go on. My faith in God has always be strong but now I know for sure that there is God in heaven. You don't realize what you have until its almost taken from you. I know that I may be missing some of my body parts, mostly it happened in my private area and on my thigh but at least I have a chance at life.They had to take alot of tissue from under my stomach and also around my buttocks. I am so glad that God gave me the chance to continue living and hopefully make a difference in someone else's life. Thank God that I survived. With three surgeries and four long months in the hospital I am glad to say I am a survivor. After I got out of the hospital I had to go to a wound clinic where there they told me that it would take me 4-6 months to heal with the type of wound I had as well as being diabetic. But with the grace of God and the will to continue to go on with my daily life I recovered quite quickly. The doctor there was amazed that I actually healed in about a month and a half being diabetic and all. She would always continue to tell me that I am a strong willed person and that I was a open medical textbook because of the fast healing. I am now fully recovered and going back to work full time.