Mark Morgan

My name is Mark Morgan, my story isn't as dramatic as some of the others on here but it is the worst experience of my life. I am from Baltimore, Maryland and am a plumber. I travel around the county remodeling hotels. I was working on a candle wood suites in Des Moines, Iowa when I was infected with n.f., I hit my forearm with a hammer at approx 2:30 in the afternoon and when I went to bed around 8pm I had a small knot on my arm, pain woke me up around 3:30am. I turned on the light and my entire forearm was three times the size of normal, red and warm to the touch. I went back to bed and got up at 7am and went to work I worked until noon or so and couldn't work anymore so I went to my room to sleep it off not thinking much of it. When I laid down I had sweat pants on a sweat shirt and was under the covers, I was shivering uncontrollably due to fever at this point I was in excruciating pain in my arm and it was swollen three to four times of normal. The superintendent on the job called me and he was uncomfortable with me just laying in my room and sleeping he arranged a ride for me to the emergency room which I now understand saved my arm or my life for that matter. At the hospital I was immediately diagnosed with n.f. and transported to mercy main hospital in Des Moines, Iowa where I was rushed into surgery where they opened my arm up from my wrist to my elbow to remove the infected muscle and skin. Over the next few days I received 2 hyperbaric treatments and on the third on had a seizure. On the third day in the hospital we noticed above my elbow an area that was red, swollen and warm to the touch which ended up being more n.f. and led to another surgery. I spent 3 weeks in Mercy Hospital before they referred me to a plastic surgeon at the University of MD hospital in Baltimore for my skin graft surgeries. That is where I am now on the long road of healing after being infected with n.f. have not received my skin grafts yet have an appointment on Thurs April 5th for that. To all you hard headed construction workers like myself this disease is no joke and if you ever have any sign of infection go get it checked out it could save your life! It saved mine being that from what I've read 1 in 4 people infected with necrotizing fasciitis die from it! mine went from a small knot on my arm to my arm being cut open from my wrist to 4 or 5 inches above my elbow with removal of muscle and skin to leave a wound approx 6 cm wide with exposed tendons and muscle in need of skin grafts to close it up! I feel lucky to only have it on my arm which is nothing compared to some of the stories on here but it's been a very painful and dramatic experience for a 34 year old otherwise healthy person with no history of any kind of medical problems!