Ann Marie Stanford

My name is Ann Marie Stanford and I am from a small town in Alabama. My fight with NF began on March 12, 2005. I had a sore in my groin area that would not go away, but just kept getting bigger and more painful. Our nearest hospital is about 17 miles away and I hate to go to the doctor for any reason so I kept putting off going for "just a little sore that needed draining". But that night it finally got to the point that I couldn't sit, walk, or get comfortable in any position I tried. I also felt like I had bronchitis again, so I gave in when my husband asked to to go get something done but only if my sister-in-law, who is a nurse, would go with me. She agreed and off we went to their house. I remember getting to her house and telling them I didn't feel like getting out to just come on and lets go. That is the last thing I remember until the end of March when I awakened in UAB Hospital in Birmingham Alabama in ICU. I had half of my abdomen removed and part of my upper left thigh and groin area. The doctors had told my family that they never expected me to make it and they were really surprised when I awakened that day. I spent another two weeks there and was transferred to the hospital in Winfield, Alabama, for the healing process and bandage changes twice a day. The wonderful staff at both hospitals took great care of me or I would not be here today to tell my story. On June 1, 2006, I was transferred back to UAB for skin grafts. I was only there for one week this time and was transferred to the Care Center of Vernon in Vernon, Alabama, near my home town, to heal from those. It is a nursing home and rehab center. I would like to thank all the wonderful staff at all of these facilities for all of there patience, love, care, concern and efforts that went into my healing process because without them and the help of my family and the Lord I would not be completely healed less than nine months after my ordeal started. To God be the Glory in all things great and small.